There is truth to the saying "failing to prepare is preparing to fail”.
Most of us are really busy in our daily lives making it hard to cook every meal every single day. But, this is where the beauty of meal prep comes in handy. Meal prep can quickly become your ally when aiming to stay on track and reach your goals. Without meal prep, you increase your chances of eating junk, ordering takeout or picking up some form of quick ‘convenience’ food.
While meal prep can seem like a daunting task in reality that 2-3 hours in the kitchen at once, can actually save you time in the kitchen for the remainder of the week.
Meal prep is different for everyone so it is important to find a method that works for you. Obviously, it should save you time and make it easier to eat in a way that works toward your goals. Some people choose to only prepare breakfasts so they aren’t caught running out of the house on an empty stomach. Some prefer to prepare dinners because they always get home late from work or from classes with the kids. While others, like myself, prefer to prepare all meals. If this seems overwhelming, maybe it’s wise to start out small by only prepping snacks and eventually adding on.
Honestly, if you are serious about your goals, you absolutely have to make time for nutrition, including planning, grocery shopping, cooking & meal prepping. I usually choose a specific day of the week to devote to meal prep and just like everything else, it eventually becomes a habit. A plan is a great thing, but executing the plan is the most important.
Plan to succeed. Make meals in advance and stock your home & office with foods that guarantee your success.
The following are some tips to make meal prep easier:
* Plan ahead, decide on your meals for the week or a few days, pick a specific day to cook & make time to do it.
* Make a grocery list, choose food you enjoy & stick to it.
* Choose a wide variety of fruit, vegetables and cook them in different ways (grilled, baked, steamed, raw, sautéed, etc).
*Buy food you can prepare in a variety of ways to keep cost down & still keep meals interesting.
* Make it a family event. Throw on some music and get the whole family involved.
* Keep it simple. There is no need for fancy complicated recipes, unless of course you’re into that. Variety can be added simply by using different spices or cooking in different ways.
* Use all your gadgets so as to cook food all at once (use the stove, oven, bbq, slow-cooker, etc) & multi-task.
* Pre-wash, chop & cut. Portion out snacks for easy grab n'go.
* Look for shortcuts & convenience (sweet potato in pre-cut bags, rotisserie chicken, pre-cut veggies, microwavable rice).
* Mix things up each week or every few days but stick with staple items and save the decadence for fresh meals.
* Buy in bulk & invest in good containers.
* Keep your eye on the prize.
If all else fails, why not try out a meal prep company? Eat Clean Healthy Grill & Juice Bar - Fort McMurray does fantastic meal prep here in the city, for example. Save loads of time & buy your meals pre-portioned, cooked and ready to go.
Until next time,